Thursday 11 August 2011

Not too sure about this!!!

OK....so it all begin way back when ( OK....it was about three years ago) when I bought the book "Skinny Bitch". After reading the first two chapters I knew that I was never going to touch meat again!! I started by going through my cupboards, fridge and freezer and throwing out everything that I knew to contain any animal or or byproduct. I have to mention that I did not discuss this prior with my common law boyfriend who happened to be a big fan of meat. Non the less he was quite supportive. I started buying every cookbook imaginable and learned quickly how to whip of delicious vegan dishes for us. I became pregnant and maintained a vegan diet throughout very successfully! After giving birth to our baby girl I was even more driven to keep our household vegan. It wasn't until she was about a year old that I decided I wanted to enter a fitness competition. I soon learned that training for these competitions was "normally" based on consuming a huge amount of fish/meat/egg protein and rice and yams. I was determined to do it my way! I successfully trained and ate a vegan diet....and placed 5th in my class!!

After that expereince I was hooked! I wanted to enter another. So I hired enlisted in the help of some trainers to coach me in my eating and training. None of them knew a vegan diet...so I did the best to modify thier plans to meet my own standards. I ate alot of tofu, tempeh, seitan and was even convinced to add fish back to my diet. I did very well at my show with that diet...placing 4th in fitness model and 3rd in Bikini Diva categories. I realized however after that show I did not feel healthy. Yes...I did look good on the outside....but my guts were churning on the inside.

OK...so to speed this up now....


I am one month out of my biggest competition yet and have decided to embrace a RAW diet. I had no knowledge other than what I could find on the internet. I started with green smoothies and salads and nut pates. I felt AWFUL!!! My stomach was distended like I was pregnant again, my digestion was horrid and the list goes on. ( I will spare you the personal details). I then came across a site that explained how you should TRANSITION into RAW foods. Ooopps. Well...there I am....one week into it and now I find this out. Too late in my opinion...so lets just keep going. With some help and guidance from a local RAW foodist my "symptoms" eased and I really started enjoying the smoothies and foods. I learned that your body goes through a "detox" period where it is eliminating all the other "cooked" and "bad" food from your system...some people get nausea, flu like symptoms, constipation, gas...etc etc.

I started feeling wonderful! I get very little sleep with a 2 yr old in the house that doesn't like to sleep through the night and was previously dragging my butt through the day. now I wake up feeling energized, fresh....and stay that way until 11 pm! I was loaned a great book on the benefit of GREEN SMOOTHIES called "Green For Life". Amazing and eye opening! I highly recommend!!

As for my training ( now two weeks out until the show) my body is feeling and looking great!

I want to share my experience with you as we all come across few info on a day to day basis. Whether we  use it and apply it in our lives is a different story. This is mine. I will keep you updated on my progress!!

1 comment: